The Logan Freight Depot is the oldest rail-related building in Logan and the Cache Valley. It is the only
surviving example of the numerous frame buildings that served the Logan rail yard. The historical significance
of the building represents the efforts of the residents of the somewhat isolated Cache Valley to create links to
the rest of Utah and beyond. The depot not only served passengers and freight, but was also the location of a
telegraph office and early telephone service. Building the railroad was a community effort, with many local
residents participating in the construction of the rail line. The coming of the railroad to Cache Valley opened up
new markets for the valley’s superior agricultural products, particularly to the mining camps of Montana in the
late nineteenth century. The stone and passenger depot, built in 1890, symbolized the best the railroad had to
offer the city of Logan and the Cache Valley. In contrast, the utilitarian freight depot building represented the
often antagonistic relationship of the community to the railroad companies. The period of significance of the
building, between the early 1880s and the late 1950s, representing the early struggles to establish the railroad,
the peak of rail activity, and the eventual decline of the industry in the Logan and the Cache Valley.